PDA

View Full Version : What English foods do you miss?

2-islandangie
30th January 2006, 10:44 PM
What are your must have's in English food (if any) that you can't find in Gran Canaria?
Would love to be able to get :-
Spring Onions.
Low Fat Cook-in Sauces
Quorn Steaks.

Stephen
30th January 2006, 10:51 PM
I would have thought you would have been able to get spring onions as they do all the other salad options we have here in the UK.

mary
30th January 2006, 10:56 PM
Low fat stuff is generally a limited option here. Spring onions you can get but they are huge - lovely and strong but sometimes you want those skinny green uk ones.
I miss parsnips (at christmas) Atora suet, stuffing.

I went to the supermarket next to the hotel and the Sonnenland turn off the other day - they had a good selection of cook in sauces etc

2-islandangie
30th January 2006, 11:40 PM
Believe it or not it is difficult to get Spring Onions. I am quite surprised at that.

Loz
31st January 2006, 10:52 AM
Russ always asks us to take him OXO cubes, (i think he eats them lol) and Paxo stuffing. We took him about 12 boxes of each last year, not sure if they are not available or just hard to find.

2-islandangie
31st January 2006, 11:34 AM
I know we managed to get Oxo's at "Big" in El Tablero. It took a while to find it but Mandy & Kim are doing a good job there.

mary
31st January 2006, 12:13 PM
I think you can get Paxo there too but its always nice to give your visitors something to bring out for you

2-islandangie
31st January 2006, 04:47 PM
What about Suet do they sell that? I don't use it myself so I didn't notice.

Stephen
31st January 2006, 05:16 PM
not exactly food, but i miss a nice hot mug of coffee on a morning, those cups in the appartments are useless like tea cup things, allways take a mug away with me now, but the water never seems to be as hot over there for some reason in the cafes too

2-islandangie
31st January 2006, 05:21 PM
I am lucky I have a Coffee Machine in the appartment. Cos I love my coffee.

mary
31st January 2006, 05:50 PM
What about Suet do they sell that? I don't use it myself so I didn't notice.

yep, suet as well. My son and hubby like their dumplings or steak pie with suet crust pastry. I know its sunny here but i still like the odd stew etc - anyway its winter, so I'm allowed.

BIG TONY
31st January 2006, 06:12 PM
I don't miss any of the boring British food at all.

libbyo
31st January 2006, 07:50 PM
The variety of low cal drinks we have in the UK.

Libbyo :)

MARCUS
31st January 2006, 09:01 PM
Yes i also have a espresso machine in my house too!I must admit yes i do miss certain things over here.The "colmans cook in packet sauces" are a must! and as much as i enjoy british food(well most of it) i do prefer to eat spanish dishes where possible,after all that is why i came to live here in Spain.
I think my favourite dish in the whole world though is Curry!
Marcus xxx

2-islandangie
1st February 2006, 10:39 AM
My problem is I have to stick to low-fat alternatives as I have a tendency to put on weight very quickly.
I have got a good "repertoire" of meals that I am happy but it is not so easy to create a lot of them in GC.

mary
1st February 2006, 11:09 AM
Low cal anything is difficult to get hold of here. Tonic for one. i know you can get it but its not in the supermarket I use. I used to use low fat creme fraiche in the uk but cant get it here.
I like 'proper' coffee but there is nothing like a good mug of nescafe. In the summer, its too hot to drink a whole mug though and thats where the little cups come in for me
The spanish like to fry everything and if they use olive oil, they think that is ok as its the 'healthy' oil.
I miss a separate grill - i hate these integral ones in the oven. As soon as you use it once, then later go to bake something, all the fat burns off the grill. If i had the time, inclination and money i would import a double oven from the uk.

redswanlady
1st February 2006, 12:54 PM
or you could buy a george forman grill, very good and healthy.

:thumb:

mary
1st February 2006, 03:17 PM
i've got a griddle sort of thing but I cant get on with it - more like a posh sandwich toaster. Cant get crispy chops with it

redswanlady
1st February 2006, 04:27 PM
they do cook steaks & bacon well. I havn't got a grill and I miss cheese on toast :sadguy:

MARCUS
1st February 2006, 09:12 PM
Yes i rather like "cheese on toast " as well! with a dash of lea and perrins worcestershire sauce!(mmm)
But you can now buy the George Foreman grill over here.Those of you living here and like to cook just like myself(no you are not invited!)they are an absloute must! they cook chicken,chops,sausages and loads more,i cook on my balcony and it comes highly recommended.(40 euros approx)
Marcus (cooking on the balcony:unsure: )xxx

raichquilly
2nd February 2006, 11:23 AM
One thing i notice when i was over there is the cheese im very particular about my cheese on the first day over there got a cheese burgar but wasnt really keen on it, other than that i loved the spanish dishes!!!!

Rachel

maxine
24th February 2006, 02:14 PM
I miss swede, and colmans French mustard, marmite,and most of all a good stronge chedder cheese,

2-islandangie
24th February 2006, 03:21 PM
I can get Marmite in PDI - but tend to bring a jar with me because I can't get the really big jars (500g).

askimref
25th February 2006, 08:52 AM
We take Gala Pie over to P R every time we go for Alice & Nigel at the Bistro Frere, as it is one of there favorites and they can't get it over there

swifty
25th February 2006, 11:46 AM
fresh veg with my meals.
all seem to be frozen these days.

askimref
25th February 2006, 12:37 PM
I should try the Bistro Frere Nigel uses nothing but fresh veg

garyc
25th February 2006, 03:06 PM
I've been here for 7 months now and things I didn't miss previously I'm really starting to mourn for.

Fray Bentos pies were nice ... I'd kill for a chicken-n-Veg right now.
Oh, and a cheese pasty from milligans (Stupid, I know)

Luckily I found Tetleys at El Corte Ingles, they only do the smaller packs and it's a little overpriced - but a good brew is a real luxury : )

Not that I don't prefer the food here on the whole - It's just I sometimes get a little homesick. I'm sure if I think about it there are literally hundreds of food products I miss... but, well, thats a good reason not to think about it : )

-Meds

2-islandangie
25th February 2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Gary,
I see you are in LP. I don't know whether it is much help to you but there is a supermarket in El Tablero that sell English Food. They have drop off points too although not at LP.Like any business if they know they can turn the goods over they will stock them. They have British Frozen pies. You could always give them a call on 610802168(Kim) or 628154501(Mandy)
Also there is a shop in the Yumbo centre that a former member of the forum reccommended. They sell English food & are planning on extending their range.

mary
25th February 2006, 04:20 PM
There is a little indian shop at the back of Sagasta - LP - that sells indian stuff - Duh, of course - but also PG tips and Branston pickle.

swifty
25th February 2006, 07:44 PM
I've been here for 7 months now and things I didn't miss previously I'm really starting to mourn for.

Fray Bentos pies were nice ... I'd kill for a chicken-n-Veg right now.
Oh, and a cheese pasty from milligans (Stupid, I know)

Luckily I found Tetleys at El Corte Ingles, they only do the smaller packs and it's a little overpriced - but a good brew is a real luxury : )

Not that I don't prefer the food here on the whole - It's just I sometimes get a little homesick. I'm sure if I think about it there are literally hundreds of food products I miss... but, well, thats a good reason not to think about it : )

-Meds
was in pr. early february and saw fray bentos pies for sale in the shops. do not know if c.n.veg.
shopped at nettos ag.la.per.
shop under portonovo apts.
spar shop.

garyc
25th February 2006, 08:55 PM
was in pr. early february and saw fray bentos pies for sale in the shops. Muuuuchisimas gracias !

Found it... phoned it... and will be visiting it soon, seems they are open even on Sunday. Oh, and my GF loves branston pickle... so, all in all a lot of great info here. Thanks : ))))

-Gary

swifty
25th February 2006, 10:57 PM
lot cheaper than a lot of the other shops as well.

shortie
28th February 2006, 06:42 AM
I couldn't get corriander while over there. I so wanted to show off my cullinary skilss to a friend too.
Also found it hard to find chicken stock.

mary
28th February 2006, 10:08 AM
depends where you look shortie. Coriander is called cilantro. In Al Campo i can get it fresh, frozen and dried, seeds and ground.

Chicken stock is Caldo de pollo- vegetable etc available too

swifty
28th February 2006, 10:10 AM
corriander could be bought from the veg shop at the back of the c.c.
along with quite a few other fresh herbs.

shirley
7th July 2006, 04:00 PM
After just over five years, I just cant eat english food any more there is no taste to it, and it is so unhealthy,all those cook in sauces, with E numbers in and so on, i never used them in england, (cancer food) i call those things, The canarians eat everything fresh, and so as the old saying goes. (when in rome do as the romans do) And come on you do have the time to cook it, if you adopt the canarian way of life .Manana Manana.
Isnt that what you are here for after all??????????????????
Integrate and learn there way of life, they are ever so helpfull ,and enjoy
showing you there ways of life.

shirley
9th July 2006, 11:31 PM
I did bake a fruit cake( i use carrefore own make flour) after experimenting i found theres the best to use, The workers loved it (you cant get fruit cake here with plenty of fruit in it although you can get plenty of dried fruit to make your own) So i have taught the canarians that we can do good baking that theyd like as well,Well they do like indian and chinese food,so why not english now and again? (I do love the estofado here. Canarian meat stew) A lot tastier than english stews as they use wine in it.And im used to doing it there way now.I suppose once you change your tastes and get used to different food there is no going back. Its the wine and spices used. So that now english food just tastes bland and tasteless.
It is just the fruit cake i miss now.And have to bake my own.

mary
9th July 2006, 11:53 PM
I agree that your taste changes. We didnt like the smoked bacon and spanish sausages at first - now we prefer them.

But at first you need them. You may love the move and your new country but you are still allowed to have those 'I miss' moments and then feed them - with a good homemade pie, english fry up, roast beef and yorkies etc etc.

I always say that I wouldnt move back but I woud go for a week - to walk through the woods in Autumn, have a Mr Whippy 99, have a good pub lunch with a roaring fire, sing carols at Christmas in the cold, walk on the south downs on a summers day - I know I cant do that in the same week, but you get my drift.

shirley
10th July 2006, 12:15 AM
Suppose you are right mary, I would go back for a week, (only a week) mind ,If it was in the winter my bones couldnt take any more of the cold there in the winter.It depends on your age.And since ive been here i only have to take half the medication that id have to take in england.(THYROXINE) That has been the bonus for me here.So because of that and my bones. I would never ever go back.But i agree xmas is not the same here.But all in all its swings and roundabouts. And here is the most healthiest place in the world. for permanent living.We have been back,
and my paul filled his case with fray bentos pies and puddings, His case was wrecked by the customs. Totaly. they must have thought they were bombs (the metal tins) He could not eat enough meat and potato pies over there, so much so that he felt sick. And i did bake them here for him for a while.But even he loves the estofado here now.

vecino
10th July 2006, 02:04 AM
Shirley may be you should try :-
http://healingdeva.com/thyroid.htm
and look at for the perfect climate (GC in mentioned ):-
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06190/703926-37.stm

vecino
10th July 2006, 02:09 AM
You can buy corriander ( fresh ) in the fruit and veg shop in San Fernando next to the chino dragon , Also in the fruit and veg in Vecindario( mercacentro at the back of Atlantico )Also in the markets in las Palmas .Sometimes in carrerfour .

shirley
17th July 2006, 08:53 PM
Just found out about a (new )company. TIERNEY SL importers and distributers of british quality food.
door to door service, on orders over 40 euros. they have (amongst everything else) branston pickle, tetley teabags, colmans mustard.
TEL 928 791 910 or 928 122 246. FAX 928 754 055
C/. Cipres no.27 - Arinaga.

julia
17th July 2006, 09:18 PM
I miss Twiglets and Hollands Meat Pies, Kopkopīs and wagonewheels:sadguy: So realy all the things that are bad for you

@ Shirley

Where abouts in Arinaga is that Place?? do youhave any directions??

mary
17th July 2006, 09:29 PM
saw wagon wheels in BIG.
The Tierney place has been going for a while. I've seen the van anyway. I dont think they have a shop, just a warehouse.

redswanlady
17th July 2006, 09:30 PM
They are advertising in tipsand info if thats a help??

viv
17th July 2006, 10:22 PM
Just found out about a (new )company. TIERNEY SL importers and distributers of british quality food.
door to door service, on orders over 40 euros. they have (amongst everything else) branston pickle, tetley teabags, colmans mustard.

Tierney isn't a new company Shirley. A lot of the bars and restaurants use this company.

shirley
17th July 2006, 10:57 PM
Oh its not new!TIERNY SL:
Just that i havent heard of them before then.

ARINAGA has a (very large) industrial estate, With massive warehouses of importers of goods for this island. most of them sell to the public if you are looking for a new wooden door, kitchen cupboard doors, ironmongery stuff. New marble worksurfaces.Iron bits to make your own fancy wrought iron fencing,Tiles,Garden slabs and tiles.In fact ANYTHING at all
You can get it there.( Builders, developers. get everything there,) although (the public )cant have the discounts for quantity. As they are not a company (buying in large quantity) .They will still sell to the public. (its not like it is in england). Its a maze of roads you can easily get lost in.
You just drive round till you see a place that sells what you want then just go in and enquire, they do have showrooms inside them for the goods that they sell, for you to look at. But it would take a week of days to brouse in them all there are that many. And the names of roads are so many i can never remember them all. and exactly where they are.They have workers restaurants dotted about in that industrial estate, And the food in them is so cheap.I imagine you could go in this Tierny sl just the same,
next time i have to go there i will look out for it and go in and see what they have.

julia
18th July 2006, 09:07 AM
Thx for the Info

The next time im in Arinaga iīll have a scout around:)

Suzi
18th July 2006, 11:51 AM
I agree that your taste changes. We didnt like the smoked bacon and spanish sausages at first - now we prefer them.

But at first you need them. You may love the move and your new country but you are still allowed to have those 'I miss' moments and then feed them - with a good homemade pie, english fry up, roast beef and yorkies etc etc.

I always say that I wouldnt move back but I woud go for a week - to walk through the woods in Autumn, have a Mr Whippy 99, have a good pub lunch with a roaring fire, sing carols at Christmas in the cold, walk on the south downs on a summers day - I know I cant do that in the same week, but you get my drift.

Mary, that little kiosk alongside the Bahamas bungalows in the lower park sells fantastic ice-cream similar to Mr Whippy, but they don't do flakes, just a choice of 3 sprinkle toppings.

MacTaliy
18th July 2006, 02:12 PM
They are top class! got lots of things last week, A lad called Eddie delivers, so when you get a price list, phone your order in and he brings it to you, they do a great variety of British 'things' AND prices are very good....
I got corriander at the EuroSpar in San Fernando, they now do lots of speciality things, Asian, Chinese... British, etc

shirley
18th July 2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks mactaliy
saves me the work, i suppose we could just get a price list (faxed )to us, and then just order with eddie.?

shirley
18th July 2006, 04:38 PM
eddie has just faxed me everything, (so very good service) Looks very good.

shirley
20th July 2006, 03:27 PM
I must admit i am partial to a bit of really fruity cake also with big cherries in it, You cant get that here.Well i cant find any.

MacTaliy
20th July 2006, 04:19 PM
I must admit i am partial to a bit of really fruity cake also with big cherries in it, You cant get that here.Well i cant find any.
Have you tried Sarah at creative cakes?
Also there's a lady called Tricia, who does cakes, in puerto rico, we get a normal sponge cake from her, I'm sure she does cherry, etc too, her number is 610857294

shirley
20th July 2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks! Mactaliy

shirley
27th August 2006, 03:11 PM
Things are getting better here now for english foods that people miss,
my mans wrights meat and potatoe pies, from stoke on trent, He said he had withdrawal symptoms over those, Ha Ha ,(Well he would have age 58 and eating them every week of his life till he came here.)
Till he found out you can get them here. His cornish pasties were a problem as well. (He has to wait till the end of september this year)for those, im sure he can make that Ha Ha. But seriously though.( If you are just on holiday here,) and used to things like pies ,pasties and fish and chips. Its nice to know that you can still have them when you want them
whilst on holiday here.And thats what the english do here ,cater to the people from back home just on holiday here. And also give the residents a taste of nostalgia from back home as well.THANK YOU to the english (local owners) for giving us expats a taste of from back home.

shirley
28th August 2006, 09:25 PM
Wish i could get a BRITISH BUTTIE when im feeling too lazy to make one myself. (You know see them in the window get one )at least i could eat it on the beach here.

vecino
28th August 2006, 11:03 PM
Mobys pdi will do you a British Buttie no problem just ask ...

Wish i could get a BRITISH BUTTIE when im feeling too lazy to make one myself. (You know see them in the window get one )at least i could eat it on the beach here.

shirley
29th August 2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks Vecino, next time im in pdi, ill go and look that place up.And then i can be lazy.

mary
29th August 2006, 01:56 PM
did you mean filled rolls Shirley - if so, i think i spotted filled rolls in the bakery in the commercial centre or on the beach in PR, Beach bubbles have filled rolls or will fill whilst you wait

shirley
29th August 2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks Mary.
Its good old english style bread and rolls, And i particularly miss the uncut english loaves, To make thick toast with.I think its just the fact that, when i have to run about first thing in the morning, and get peckish and cant get thick english bread toast, in any cafe, i just thought a nice sandwich would do instead.And then i come unstuck on that one.
But ill try that one you mention, when im round there.

shirley
8th September 2006, 01:27 PM
For my man this one. Real cornish pastys.

redswanlady
8th September 2006, 01:46 PM
Won't have to wait much longer Shirley!!

chorlton
8th September 2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Mary.
Its good old english style bread and rolls, And i particularly miss the uncut english loaves, To make thick toast with.I think its just the fact that, when i have to run about first thing in the morning, and get peckish and cant get thick english bread toast, in any cafe, i just thought a nice sandwich would do instead.And then i come unstuck on that one.
But ill try that one you mention, when im round there.

Why don't you get a breadmaker - mine chucks a loaf out in 60 minutes - that way you can cut it as thick or thin as you want.

shirley
8th September 2006, 01:49 PM
I brought one with me, but have never found out where i can get the yeast and things sachets yet,Do you know where??

chorlton
8th September 2006, 02:27 PM
I get mine at tesco but am not sure that is much use to you! Could you not buy dried yeast off the net (I've seen it for sale on ebay) or get family in the UK to post it over?

mary
8th September 2006, 02:57 PM
you can buy yeast (dried) in Al Campo and probably carrefor. Strong white flour - I think I've seen it in BIG.

shirley
8th September 2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks folkes Ill have another scout round.